In September, 1949, 108 pupils and four teachers assembled for the first classes at Loma Linda School. However, in those early days, it was called Liberty School, after the street on which it was located.
In March, 1951, a vote conducted by the Parent-Teacher Association revealed that a majority preferred the name Loma Linda, which is Spanish for “beautiful earth”. (Subsequently, the Liberty Street was renamed Clarendon Avenue)
The first of four building programs resulted in the construction of an office – including limited facilities for the nurse’s quarters, and four classrooms ready for use in September, 1949.
Two additional classrooms were provided using quonset huts. The school then included grades one, two, three and four.
Nine classrooms and the cafeteria were added in the second building program — occupied in the spring of 1951. The school could then accommodate the first six grades.
Ready for occupancy in September, 1954, were six more classrooms, a home economics room, an industrial arts room, offices for the physical education instructors, a nurse’s office which was designed for that purpose, and a stage added to the cafeteria enabling it to serve dual purpose of a cafeteria and an auditorium, now called the cafetorium.
These additional facilities made it possible to offer instruction in grades one through eight and no longer necessitated sending “our” youngsters to other schools for the seventh and eighth grade.
The first eighth grade commencement was held at Loma Linda School in May, 1955.
An art room, combination vocal and instrumental music room, and seven classrooms were added in the most recent building program which was completed in September, 1955. This program also included the remodeling of two temporary classrooms to provide a library as had been intended in the second building program.
The faculty has grown from four classroom teachers in 1949 to 24 classroom teachers, an art teacher, two music teachers, a librarian, a remedial reading teacher, two physical education teachers, nurse, home economics teacher, an industrial art teacher, five adult cafeteria workers, five custodial workers, a secretary, and assistant principal, and a principal. Mr. William P. Garrity was appointed to the principalship in 1950.
Allied organizations have played an important role in the life and achievements of our school. A list of them would include the Parent-Teacher Association formed in 1949; the Boy Scouts of America formed in 1950; the Girl Scouts of America formed in 1950; the Brownie Scouts of America formed in 1950; the Cub Scouts of America formed in 1950; the Loma Linda Booster Club, Inc. formed in 1955; and the Loma Linda Citizens Committee formed in 1957.
(Written approximately 1960)